Periodicity Quiz 3!
1. From which of the following is it easiest to remove an electron?
a. Mg b. Na c. K d. Al
2. Which of the following influenced your answer to number one the most?
a. nuclear charge b. valence electrons c. inner shell electrons d. shielding effect
3. As the atomic numbers of the halogens in
a. decreases b. increases c. remains the same d. breaks
4. Ions formed by the gain of an electron are always more _____ than the atom they came from.
a. stable b. unstable
c. electronegative d. I can't tell because I don't know what the atom is.
5. Electron affinity within a series generally ______ with increasing atomic number.
a. increases (gets more negative) b. decreases (gets more positive)
c. stays about the same
6. What is the most probable oxidation state of Ca?
a. -3 b. -2 c. +3 d. none of these
7. You do an experiment which involves adding an electron to an atom of K. You make the following assumption in regard to its stability:
a. the ion is more stable b. the ion is less stable c. the stability doesn't change
d. You can't tell what happened because this statement doesn't give enough information.
8. Which of the following elements is most metallic? a. O b. F c. S d. Cl
9. Which of the following has a larger radius?
a. rubidium b. rubidium ion c. they are the same
10. Which of the following is most likely to lose electrons in a chemical reaction?
a. sulfur b. chlorine c. fluorine d. oxygen
11. Low ionization energy is characteristic of:
a. metals b. non-metals c. metalloids d. liquids
12. Which of the following trends have the same pattern as atomic radius?
a. electronegativity b. electron affinity c. ionization energy d. all of these
e. none of these ab. more than one of these
13. If energy is absorbed during a process, the resulting particle is:
a. more stable b. less stable c. about the same d. irrelevant
14. An atom which gained energy during an electron transfer:
a. gained an electron b. lost an electron c. lost a proton
d. there is insufficient information to answer this question.
15. Which of the following elements would you expect to have a positive electron affinity?
a. K b. Cl c. O d. F e. none of these
16. Compared to the stability of the original atom, the stability of its ion formed by the loss of an electron is:
a. always less b. sometimes less c. the same d. always greater
17. Which of the following is the largest?
a. Ne b. F- c. Na+ d. Mg++
18. Which element would form an ion which is isoelectronic with Ne and would bond with oxygen in a 1:1 ratio:
a. F b. Na c. Mg d. Al e. Si
19. Which of the following elements has a lower ionization energy than the element which precedes it on the periodic table?
a. C b. N c. O d. F
20. Which of the following has the least tendency to gain electrons?
a. tin b. strontium c. iodine d. nickel e. potassium
21. When nitrogen combines with oxygen, which of the following would be a possible oxidation state for N? O is more electronegative than N and gains electrons.
a. +3 b. +8 c. -3 d. +6