A Few Questions about Periodicity!
1. The most important factor in determining the variation in size of atoms as you move from left to right within a series is the:
a. increase in nuclear charge b. increase in number of valence electrons
c. increase in the radii of electron shells d. increased shielding effect
2. The major contributing factor to the decrease in ionization energy as you move to the bottom of a family is :
a. nuclear charge b. valence electrons
c. more inner shell electrons d. reduced shielding effect
3. As the atomic numbers of the elements in Group VI (oxygen family)increase, the shielding effect:
a. decreases b. increases c. remains the same d. breaks
4. Ions formed by the gain of an electron are always more _____ than the atom they came from.
a. stable b. unstable
c. electronegative d.I can't tell because I don't know what the atom is.
5. Electron affinity within a family generally ______ with increasing atomic number.
a. increases b. decreases c. gets more positive d. stays the same
6. Based on valence electrons, what is the most probable oxidation state of N?
a. -3 b. -2 c. +3 d. 0
7. You do an experiment which involves adding an electron to an atom of He. You make the following assumption in regard to its stability:
a. the ion is more stable b. the ion is less stable c. the stability doesn't change
d. You can't tell what happened because this statement doesn't give enough information.
8. Which of the following elements is most metallic? a. O b. S c. As d. Se
9. Which of the following has a larger radius?
a. chlorine b. chlorine ion c. they're the same
10. Which of the following is least likely to gain electrons in a chemical reaction?
a. magnesium b. chlorine c. fluorine d. oxygen
11. High ionization energy is characteristic of:
a. metals b. non-metals c. metalloids d. liquids
12. Which of the following trends generally have an opposite pattern from atomic radius?
a. electronegativity b. electron affinity c. ionization energy d. all of these e. none of these ab. more than one of these--but not all
13. If energy is released during a process, the resulting particle is:
a. more stable b. less stable c. about the same d. irrelevant
14. An atom which lost energy during an electron transfer:
a. gained an electron b. lost an electron c. lost a proton
d. there is insufficient information to answer this question.
15. Which of the following elements would you expect to have a positive electron affinity?
a. K b. Ne c. O d. F
16. Compared to the stability of the original atom, the stability of its ion formed by the gain of an electron is:
a. always less b. sometimes less c. the same d. always greater
17. Which of the following is the largest? a. Ne b. F- c. Na+ d. Mg++
18. Which element would form an ion which is isoelectronic with Ne and would bond with oxygen in a 1:2 ratio:
a. F b. Na c. Mg d. Al e. Si
19. The greatest increase in ionization energy for the element Na comes between which two electrons?
a. 2nd and 3rd b. 3rd and 4th c. 1st and 2nd d. none of these
20. An element which gained energy during an electron transfer:
a. gained an electron b. lost an electron
c. lost a proton d. there is insufficient information to answer this question.
21. What element will form an ion which is isoelectronic with Ne and will combine with phosphorous in a 3 : 1 ratio? (1 atom of phosphorous)