"Real Life" Dimensional Analysis Problems
1. According to the Guinness Book of Records, the heaviest baby ever born weighed 29 lbs. 4 oz (29.25 lbs). What was the baby's mass in kg? ANSWER: 13.27 kg
2. A condor has a wing span of 3.05 M. What is the wing span in feet? ANSWER: 10.0 feet
3. In Europe gasoline is sold by the liter. Assume that it takes 14 gallons of gasoline to fill the tank of a compact car. How many liters of gasoline will it take? ANSWER: 53
4. Some owls maintain territories of up to 3.0 acres. How many owls could live in a large wooded area of 20.0 hectares.
ANSWER 16 OWLS
5. If Phillip Morris cigarettes have 5 mg tar and .4 mg nicotine per cigarette and there are 20 cigarettes per pack, how many packs of cigarettes would have to be smoked to coat your lungs with 4 oz (.25 lb) of tar? How many packs would you have to smoke to damage your lungs by adding 1 gram of the drug nicotine. ANSWER: 1131 packs to deposit .25 lb of tar. 125 packs to deposit 1 gram of nicotine.
6. Suppose you wanted to smell bad and shorten your life by smoking 1.5 packs of cigarettes a week. Assujing the average cost of $3.37 a pack, how much money would you spend on cigarettes after smoking 13 years? ANSWER $3417.18
7. Mark McGuire hit 70 home runs in the 1998 season. Given that there are 4 bases and 90 feet between each base, how many miles did he run that season just from home runs? ANSWER: 4.77 miles
8. Suppose that your chemistry teacher empties his dehumidifier tank once a day. If the capacity of the tank is 2 gallons, determine how many molecules of water the dehumidifier collects from the air per millisecond? ANSWER: 2.9 E 18 molecules per ms
9. A boy who never learned dimensional analysis was working at a fast food place for 35 years wrapping burgers. Each hour they wrapped 184 hamburgers. They worked 8 hours per day, fie days a week. They got paid every 2 weeks with a salary of $840.34. How many hamburgers will they have to wrap to make their first one million dollars? ANSWER: 1.75 E 7 burgers.